The Counselling Process
What is Counselling
- Counselling & Therapy mean the same thing.
- It is talking to a qualified professional counsellor in a safe & confidential space, where you can express your thoughts and feelings without judgement.
- I cannot promise to make things better, but I can work with you to understand what it is you are thinking and feeling as you talk me through the issues you have.
- All sessions are structured with a verbal and written therapy contract.
- As a qualified Counsellor, I can provide you with a safe and confidential therapeutic environment if you need someone to talk to. I am here to listen to you and accept you without any judgement with warmth because you are a unique individual.
- Together we shall work to try and get a sense of your needs whilst I apply a range of counselling skills and therapeutic approaches such as Humanistic Approach, Psychodynamic, CBT, Transactional Analysis and Creative Therapy to give us more understanding of your presenting problem tailored to best suit your needs.
What Counselling is NOT
- This is not an Advice Service like Citizens Advice Bureau
- It is not an instant fix to your problems.
- It is not judgemental or picking sides.
- An escape route.
- Wanting your counsellor to do all the work for you.
Initial & Follow-on Therapy sessions:
Our discussion would focus on how you are feeling and what you would like to talk about. Sessions would feel sometimes challenging because it might bring up painful and sometime uncomfortable feelings for you. It might make you feel sad, frustrated, angry. We can talk about anything you want to address which could include:
- the situation you are having difficulty with
- your relationships and family history
- childhood experiences
- your feelings, emotions and thoughts
- your behaviour
- past and present life events